Thursday, January 24, 2013

Whither Steve Jobs?

Steve Jobs passed away in October of 2011 and it now appears that Apple-The-Magnificent  passed with him.


Apple's stock has been in decline for several weeks as it ran into two immutable facts. The first is the law of large numbers. That is, the larger the company, the more difficult it is to grow. The second is that Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs.

And, in case you don't watch the financial news, Apple stock is getting absolutely hammered today. I personally own some and I had to sell about half my holdings to avoid the bloodbath.

I'm working my way (slowly) through Steve Jobs biography. The book is not as easy a read as I expected because the author spends a lot of time in the minutiae of Apple's internecine spats over product design, office layout, dress codes - you name it.

What I'm learning about Jobs, though, is that he was a truly extraordinary businessman. Henry Ford changed American life with the Model T and mass production. Steve Jobs is the Henry Ford of our time and he changed the way we live our lives in ways that we don't yet appreciate.

But Steve Jobs is gone and Apple has run into the law of large numbers. Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs and Apple is now just another big company. It's a pity.

No comments:

Woke Terror

I recently heard a new phrase that stuck in my head like a dart in a dart board - Woke Terror . In our world a formerly innocent remark...