Walter Kurtz at Pragmatic Capital has been watching short-term interest rates in China and is sounding the alarm.
This graphic is the equivalent of the US Federal Funds rate (or the overnight rate banks charge each other). One of the classic signs of an impending recession is when short-term interest rates are higher than long-term rates. It's a sign a central bank is stiffening; although in this case it may be that their central bank is simply looking the other way.
You do hear stories of empty cities built with cheap money and that Chinese authorities want to curtail this speculative activity. This is one way to do it.
Now, can they do it without triggering a recession. This bears watching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woke Terror
I recently heard a new phrase that stuck in my head like a dart in a dart board - Woke Terror . In our world a formerly innocent remark...
-
I recently heard a new phrase that stuck in my head like a dart in a dart board - Woke Terror . In our world a formerly innocent remark...
-
I wish I had the time - or maybe I'm just not smart enough - to disassemble conventional wisdom like some people can. But then, maybe I...
-
Steve Jobs passed away in October of 2011 and it now appears that Apple-The-Magnificent passed with him. Apple's stock has been in...

No comments:
Post a Comment